Experienced Social Security Disability Attorneys in West Michigan

When you can no longer work because of an injury or disability, you need income. Applying for Social Security and being denied can be very frustrating.  Call our Social Security Attorneys when you receive that denial. We can help you appeal and receive the benefits that you deserve.

Common Social Security Questions

What is Social Security Disability?

  • Social Security Disability is a federal government program for disabled workers who have earnings to meet the Social Security Administration (SSA) requirements.
  • As a general rule, you likely have earned enough SSA “work credits” to qualify for Social Security Disability, if you worked for 5 out of the last 10 years. (Adult children of Social Security recipients may also qualify for SSD if that child became disabled before the age of 22).

What is the Difference between Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

  • Social Security Disability is for disabled workers. You must have worked a certain number of quarters to qualify. The amount you receive is based on how much you have worked (and paid federal social security taxes), up to certain federal limits.
  • SSI is for individuals with little or no income and assets, who are disabled, blind or over 65. This is primarily for individuals who have not worked enough quarters to qualify for Social Security Disability and disabled children. You must meet financial guidelines.

Can I Receive Social Security Disability Benefits?

In order to be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits you must prove to SSA that:

  • You have enough work credits to qualify for disability benefits.
  • You have an impairment that has lasted, or is expected to last, for at least 12 months, or is expected to result in death.
  • You cannot engage in substantial gainful activity since your impairment began.

How Do I Apply for SSD or SSI?

  • You can apply for either SSD or SSI benefits by applying online at www.ssa.gov or calling 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard-of-hearing, call their toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.  You can also go into your local office. The SSA’s website has very helpful information about the application process. www.ssa.gov.

Do I need a lawyer?

  • If you are denied benefits, we recommend hiring one of our experienced Social Security Lawyers to assist you with your appeal. The appeal must be filed within 60 days of receipt of your initial denial, so be sure to call us right away.
  • We strongly recommend that you call one of our experienced Social Security Disability Lawyers for a free initial consultation to discuss the particulars of your situation.

Contact Ladas & Hoopes Law Office today for a complimentary initial consultation 231-744-6218